The BBC has just released it’s Sound of 2013 list of artists. Over the years, this has proven to be one of the most accurate predictors of who’s likely to become a household name (in the UK at least) over the next twelve months, and it’s personally a very exciting thing to see. The list is compiled by the UK’s most influential music industry tastemakers, who were each asked to note their favourite emerging artists.
While I’m familiar with all the acts on these long lists by the time they are published, I do not necessarily agree with all the talent in them (that’s the great thing about music).
Still, every year I like to benchmark this blog against the list to see how many acts I’ve championed, and I’m chuffed to see that most of these artists have been featured on Alfitude over the past year or two (although some of these posts are already so old the sound clips may not be active any more):
- AlunaGeorge – first featured February 2011
- A*M*E – first featured January 2012
- Angel Haze – first featured July 2012
- Arlissa – first featured August 2012
- Chvrches – first featured June 2012
- King Krule – first featured January 2011 as ‘Zoo Kid’
- Laura Mvula – first featured October 2012
- The Weeknd – first featured March 2011
- Tom Odell – first featured August 2012
Other acts on the longlist also include:
- Little Green Cars
- Palma Violets
Overall, I think this year’s list covers a much more varied and promising selection of talent compared to 2012, and it’ll be interesting to see who wins. The top five acts will begin to be revealed during the week of 31st December 2012.
Until then, I haven’t made my mind up who will make the shortlist just yet- who would you like to see win?
If this song doesn’t become the standout summer track of the year I don’t know what will! Check out here.