Swedish power pop.
I’m getting some indie/ beach vibes from this.
The BBC Sound Of poll is one of the biggest and most accurate music surveys to find next year’s breakout star. Previous winners have included Years & Years, Adele, Sam Smith and 50 Cent.
I’m so happy to see that 2016 has a very strong line up with pop and grime genres taking the lead.
As is becoming usual (not that I’m one for gloating), the majority were featured on Alfitude a long while ago…
- Izzy Bizu – featured May 2015
- Blossoms – featured October 2015
- Alessia Cara – featured May 2015
- Loyle Carner – featured November 2014
- Frances – featured August 2014
- Jack Garratt – featured February 2014 (!!!)
- J Hus
- Dua Lipa – featured August 2015
- Mabel – featured July 2015
- Billie Marten – featured August 2014
- Mura Masa – featured October 2014
- NAO – featured June 2014
- Rat Boy
- Section Boyz
My bet is for Jack Garratt to win, with Dua Lipa, NAO and Frances and Blossoms to finish the top 5.
The shortlist is revealed at the start of January, with the winner announced on the BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Show on 8 January 2016.
Track of the week. Moxie always finds a way to surprise me. This is a minimal and effective pop number.
Dreamy Swedish electropop.
Nice to see Mallrat return with some more quirky pop.