Let’s get this straight first – Eurovision (to those who aren’t familiar, this is a huge annual TV contest that Europe takes part in every May where one European country – or Australia – tries to win with a song) is notorious for showing off more cheese than edgy music. This year though, truth be told, there is a decent selection of some fun pop tracks…
Sweden – Dance You Off
- Good – This is probably as edgy as Eurovision gets this year. Also, it’s from the team at the hugely successful TEN music production company.
- Bad – Sweden do so well in this contest that the expectations are always so high for them.
Cyprus – Fuego
- Good – Catchy, sassy sound.
- Bad – Probably won’t translate well on a large arena stage.
Israel – TOY
- Good – Easy, fun pop.
- Bad – Chicken sounds?
Belgium – A Matter Of Time
- Good – Belgium is forging a reputation for performing well-produced, minimal pop to this contest.
- Bad – It’s probably too understated for a show that relies on big performances.
The show goes live on the 12th May from Lisbon. Here’s more.