Flawless work from one of the UK’s brightest and boldest RnB talents.
So this is the name that the British music industry reckons will take 2017 by storm…
In all honesty, even though I do I like Ray BLK I wasn’t expecting this much impact – it’s still a good choice nonetheless!
The runners up of the year, who probably will be just as prominent over the coming twelve months, are:
The time is upon us! The Holy Grail of music predictors is back and this year the BBC Sound of 2017 has a mostly urban feel around the acts.
On a personal note, there’s a few acts missing from this year which I was really hoping would be featured but nonetheless, it’s an interesting mix:
- AJ Tracey
- Anderson Paak
- Declan McKenna
- Jorja Smith – featured January 2016
- Maggie Rogers – featured July 2016
- Nadia Rose
- Rag ‘n’ Bone Man – featured June 2014 (!)
- Ray BLK – featured October 2016
- Raye – featured October 2014 (!)
- Stefflon Don
- The Amazons- featured April 2016
- The Japanese House
- Tom Grennan – featured August 2016
I haven’t guessed as many as acts as I usually do with this poll this year (2016 seems to be the unpredictable year in more ways than one) – so it’s hard for me to figure exactly who will win this year at the moment.
Purely based on the immense quality of his work over the years I’d like Rag ‘n’ Bone Man to win.
Tom Grennan, Raye and Jorja Smith also deserve some love. Yet on a mainstream level, Maggie Rogers and Anderson Paak tick some boxes. Who knows though… Who knows..!
The shortlist works it’s way towards the end of the year.
- AJ Tracey – @AJFromTheLane
- Bishop Briggs – @thatgirlbishop
- Disciples – @Disciples
- JP Cooper – @JPCooperMusic
- Nadia Rose @nadiarosemusic
- RAYE – @raye
- Ray Blk – @RayBLK_
- Stefflon Don – @stefflondon
- The Amazons – @TheAmazons
- Tom Grennan – @Tom_Grennan